Excavations at Morgantina: The Princeton Years
The ancient city of Morgantina is situated on the Serra Orlando ridge, near the modern town of Aidone in the central Sicilian province of Enna. Overlooking the broad plain of Catania, it sits astride the pass through the mountains to the Plain of Gela in the South.
Excavations at Morgantina were carried out from 1955 to 1963 and 1966 to 1967 by the Princeton University Archaeological Expedition to Sicily under the joint directorship of Professors Erik Sjöqvist and Richard Stillwell. From 1968 to 1972, Hubert L. Allen *69, professor of classics, University of Illinois, continued the excavations under the auspices of the jointly sponsored Illinois-Princeton Morgantina Expedition. William A. P. Childs '64, 72*, professor of classical art and archaeology at Princeton University, served as a trench master in 1966 and as field director in 1978 and 1979. In 1989, Malcolm Bell III, '63, 72*, professor of art history at the University of Virginia, took over the supervision of the excavations. Today the excavations at Morgantina remain under the direction of Malcolm Bell and Carla Antonaccio *87, professor of classical studies at Duke University.