Each science and engineering department at Princeton University has
appointed a Chemical Hygiene Officer to oversee the Laboratory
Safety Program in that department. The Chemical Hygiene Officer responsibilities
- Establishing and implementing a Chemical Hygiene
Plan, based on a template
provided by EHS, and updating the plan at least annually.
- Investigating accidents and chemical exposures within the department.
- Acting as a liaison between the department and EHS for laboratory safety
- Maintaining records of training, exposure monitoring and medical examinations.
- Ensure laboratory workers receive chemical and procedure-specific training.
- Review and approve use of particularly hazardous substances.
- Approve laboratory worker's return to work following a chemical exposure
requiring medical consultation.
Resources for the Chemical Hygiene Officer