Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure laboratory workers attend general training given by EHS.
- Ensure laboratory workers understand how to work with chemicals safely.
Provide chemical and procedure-specific training, as needed.
- Provide laboratory workers with appropriate engineering controls and
personal protective equipment needed to work safely with hazardous
materials. Ensure such equipment is used correctly.
- Ensure laboratory workers complete and submit Particularly Hazardous Substance Use Approval forms and submit them for approval before using any particularly hazardous
- Review and approve work with particularly hazardous substances.
Departmental Chemical Hygiene Officer
- Establish and implement a Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Review and update the Chemical Hygiene Plan at least annually.
- Investigate accidents and chemical exposures within the department.
- Act as a liaison between the department and EHS for laboratory safety
- Maintain records of training, exposure monitoring and medical examinations.
- Ensure laboratory workers receive chemical and procedure-specific training.
- Review and approve use of particularly hazardous substances.
- Approve laboratory worker's return to work following a chemical exposure
requiring medical consultation.
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)
- Conduct exposure monitoring, as needed.
- Provide general training.
- Audit the departmental program periodically.
- Provide safe working guidelines for laboratory workers through
the EHS web page.
- Review the model Chemical Hygiene Plan at least annually
- Inspect fume hoods annually
- Provide consultation for safe work practices for hazardous chemicals
- Conduct limited laboratory safety inspections annually
- Develop and maintain the Laboratory Safety Manual