Pollution Prevention Goals - FY2012
- Facilitate the implementation of a chemical inventory systems within the Chemistry department to promote chemical reuse/sharing and just-in-time ordering of reagents to facilitate compliance with building fire code limits for certain chemical reagents within the new laboratory building.
- Encourage replacing wet-chemistry photography darkrooms with digital studios.
- Transition laboratories with high volume organic solvent usage to replace
thermal distillation systems with waste minimizing, utility conserving,
intrinsically safe dry column purification system.
- Conduct formal pollution prevention opportunity assessments in the
lab and facilities groups producing the largest volumes of waste.
- Complete switch to returnable lecture bottles.
- Encourage the practice of regenerating toxic gas scrubber units to avoid costly disposal of canister.
- Continue to promote "just-in-time" chemical purchases within lab groups campus-wide.