Image: Princeton University Logo
EHS Banner collage (safety manual, men wearing hardhats) EHS Banner collage (radiation symbol, two scientists) EHS Banner collage (biohazard symbol, geiger counter)
Home | Workplace Safety | Laboratory Safety | Radiation Safety | Biological Safety | Emergencies
Health and Safety Guide




    All work-related injuries or illnesses must be properly reported in order to provide for prompt medical evaluation and treatment, to qualify for payment of medical expenses and wage replacement benefits, and to comply with state and federal regulations.

Return to Top


Scope and Application

    An injury or illness is classified as work-related only if it arises out of and in the course of employment at Princeton University. Specific reporting requirements are mandated under the New Jersey Workers Compensation Law and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Act, some of which are described below. Questions about whether an injury or illness is work-related or reportable should be directed to the Office of Risk Management (258-3349 or 258-1192).

    Individuals that do not have work-related injuries or illnesses but need special accommodation in their workplace may fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). For further information call the Office of Disability Services (258-8840). While accidents involving outside contractors or other visitors to campus do not fall within the scope of this section, serious injuries to these individuals should be reported as soon as practicable to the Office of Risk Management (258-3349).

Return to Top


Program Description

    Medical Evaluation and Treatment

    For all emergencies call Public Safety at 911. For post emergency care and all non-emergencies, individuals with work-related injuries and illnesses should be referred to the Office of Employee Health (258-5035) in University Health Services at McCosh Health Center for evaluation, consultation, treatment, and/or referral to approved physicians outside the University. Time out of the workplace for a work-related injury or illness must be authorized by Employee Health. Employee Health also provides the required return-to-work clearance for individuals who have been away from work for more than 8 days due to any injury or illness. For injuries that result from accidental contact with hazardous or toxic substances, contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) at 258-5294 in addition to contacting Employee Health.


    The Employer’s First Report of Accident, Injury, or Occupational Illness form must be provided to the Office of Risk Management as soon as possible, but no later than seven days after an employee's injury or illness. This form is completed electronically when employees visit Employee Health.  In addition to fulfilling state and federal reporting requirements, this form must be completed to file a claim under Workers Compensation.

    Except for emergencies, employees must report all injuries to their supervisors as soon as possible but, in all cases, prior to leaving the workplace on the day of the injury.  If an individual calls from home to report a work-related injury or illness, their supervisor should advise them to contact the Office of Employee Health (258-5035).   If the supervisor is uncomfortable or uncertain about the circumstances surrounding the injury or illness, he or she should also contact Employee Health explaining such concerns.

    If an individual is absent from the workplace for 8 days or more due to a work-related injury or illness, the supervisor must send the employee a Medical Disability Application packet, available through the Office of Human Resources.

    Workers Compensation Insurance

    The self-insured Workers Compensation program, administered by the Office of Risk Management and complying with the New Jersey Workers Compensation Law, covers all medical costs for work-related injuries and illnesses that are defined as "reasonable and necessary" by the Office of Employee Health. Individuals must receive medical care from physicians pre-approved by Employee Health. Failure to follow these procedures may result in denial of payment for medical services. Workers Compensation also pays part of the wages lost if the injury or illness requires an absence from the workplace of 8 or more days. In addition, rehabilitation services or other similar care may be authorized. PMA Management Corporation acts on behalf of Princeton University as our claims administrator.

    OSHA Record keeping and Reporting Requirements

    The University is required by the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics and OSHA to maintain a log of work-related injuries and illnesses. Information collected on the Employer’s First Report of Accident, Injury, or Occupational Illness form described above is used by EHS to complete the OSHA log.

    OSHA has stringent reporting requirements when a work-related accident results in the hospitalization of 3 or more individuals or a fatality. These types of accidents must be reported immediately to EHS (258-5294). Failure to report these accidents to OSHA within 8 hours may result in substantial OSHA penalties.

Return to Top


Roles and Responsibilities


    • Require prompt reporting by workers of all work-related injuries and illnesses.


    • Contact Public Safety (911) when emergency medical attention is necessary.
    • Contact EHS (258-5294) immediately when a work-related accident results in death or hospitalization of 3 or more individuals.
    • Contact Employee Health (258-5035) and make an appointment for individuals with less serious work-related injuries and illnesses, or for post-emergency care.
    • Contact EHS (258-5294) for injuries that result from accidental contact from hazardous or toxic substances.

Office of Employee Health

    • Provide evaluation, treatment, and appropriate referral and review for all work-related injuries and illnesses.
    • Provide return-to-work clearance
    • Review status of work restrictions

Risk Management

    • Manage the Workers Compensation Program.


    • Maintain the OSHA log for occupational injuries and illnesses.
    • Report multiple hospitalizations and fatalities to OSHA.


    • Report all work-related injuries and illnesses promptly to the supervisor.
    • Seek medical assistance through Employee Health in University Health Services at McCosh Health Center.
    • Follow instructions for restricted work activities to prevent further injury.

Return to Top


For More Information

Contact Risk Management (258-3349 or 258-1192) for additional information about the New Jersey Workers Compensation Law.

Contact Employee Health (258-5035) for additional information about medical treatment and return-to-work clearance or work restrictions.

Contact Environmental Health and Safety (258-5294) for additional information about OSHA reporting requirements.

Refer to Human Resources Policy and Procedure Manual, Policy 3.21 Workers Compensation, for Employment/Status Authorization reporting requirements.

Return to Top

Return to Health and Safety Guide Table of Contents




For a disclaimer and information regarding the use of this page, see the disclaimer notice.
Web page comments:

Link: EHS Homepage Princeton University Home Page