Emergency Guidelines for the Campus Community

H1N1 Influenza Frequently Asked Questions

Last updated: September 4, 2009

Travel Questions

Is the University prohibiting travel to regions of the United States or other countries affected by H1N1 flu?

The University is following the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control, which has not restricted travel within the United States at this time. The University will not fund or sponsor undergraduate student travel to countries on the U.S. State Department Warning List or to countries where the U.S. has issued travel restrictions.

I am an undergraduate student planning to travel abroad. What am I required to do before I travel?

All University-sponsored travel for undergraduates must be registered on the University Travel Database. Student travelers must enter their emergency contact information and travel itineraries as part of this registration so that the University can be alerted to their whereabouts in case of emergencies concerning health and safety. Periodic updates will be posted on the University Travel website as travel information changes. For questions about undergraduate student travel policies, please contact Nancy Kanach or Amy Campbell.

I am a graduate student, faculty or staff member planning to travel abroad. What am I required to do before I travel?

Graduate students, faculty, and staff who will be traveling on University business, including travel for research and study, are strongly encouraged to register their information into the University Travel Database. Either the individual traveler or a proxy may enter travel details, including emergency contact information, into the travel database. Periodic updates will be posted on the University Travel website as travel information changes. For questions about graduate, faculty and staff travel policies, please contact Diana Davies in the Office of the Provost.

How will study abroad programs for the fall be affected?

At this time, we expect that study abroad programs for fall 2009 will proceed without interruption.

What should I consider before traveling in regards to H1N1 flu?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that travelers at high risk for complications from any form of flu, (i.e. those with asthma, diabetes or other chronic conditions, those who are immuno-compromised and pregnant women), should discuss their travel plans with their doctor. Individuals and their doctors should look carefully at the H1N1 flu situation in their travel destination and the available health-care options in the area. They should discuss their specific health situations and possible increased risk of traveling in an area affected by H1N1 flu.

International travelers on University business or on University-sponsored trips who may be considered as high risk may contact University Health Services to request a prescription for the antiviral flu medicine Tamiflu. A health services practitioner will evaluate requests on an individual basis based on the person's high risk factors. To request a prescription, e-mail UHS@princeton.edu with your name, destination, dates of travel and indication of high risk. Please contact UHS well in advance of travel to ensure time for the prescription to be mailed. Individuals would be responsible for filling prescriptions themselves at pharmacies.

For more information, visit the CDC's website on travelers' health.

What should I do if I am traveling and I develop flu-like symptoms?

If you experience flu-like symptoms, such as fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or vomiting, while traveling abroad, contact International SOS for a referral to a local health care provider. If you are traveling in the United States, contact the local hospital or your personal physician. For those traveling with a group, notify your group leader or program sponsor. Group leaders should contact UHS@princeton.edu after a student has been seen by a medical provider. If you are traveling alone, after seeking medical assistance, please e-mail UHS@princeton.edu. UHS should not be the first point of contact, but as a follow up resource.

Before physically returning to campus, a traveler who has been affected by H1N1 or has flu-like symptoms should contact University Health Services at (609) 258-3141.
For more information, including information about contacting International SOS while traveling abroad, visit the H1N1 traveler update on the University's Travel website.

What if I am exposed to someone with H1N1 flu while traveling?

Travelers should be prepared to be quarantined in some countries even if they do not exhibit symptoms but have been within a certain proximity of others affected by H1N1. In the event of quarantine, travelers should make use of the Internet and/or a cell phone for communication and identify reliable sources of health care and basic daily needs. For more information, visit the H1N1 traveler update on the University's Travel website: http://www.princeton.edu/travel/h1n1-traveler-update/index.xml or http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/health/health_1181.html

What guidance is there for University offices hosting visitors to campus?

We encourage University offices and departments to remind their campus visitors to heed information provided by health authorities as they consider traveling, and to consult a physician before traveling if they have symptoms of illness. All visitors should follow infection-control steps, including covering your mouth and nose if you have a cough or sneeze. Frequent use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers also is recommended.

Does the University plan to restrict or prohibit visitors to campus?

There are no changes in University operations or activities at this time, and no plans to limit visitors to campus. In light of this public health issue, we do encourage campus visitors to heed information provided by health authorities as you consider travel, and to consult a physician before traveling if you have symptoms of illness. We will continue to monitor the situation, and any updates pertaining to University events will be posted on this website.

Where can I find more information about University travel policies?
The University Travel website includes information about University travel policies, and travel and safety resources.


Back to H1N1 Influenza page

Last update: 14-Jan-2011 10:33 AM
Web page comments or errors: Robin Izzo.