You can contact the Office of the Fire Marshall
Fire Safety and You! A Presentation by the Fire Marshal
To show this presentation, you may need to install Quicktime Player:
or, you can view the NEW Power Point Presentation version without sound:
Simple Rules to Live By:
Never ignore a fire alarm!
If a student suspects a fire or if the alarm sounds:
2. Roll out of bed and crawl to the door. Stay low to avoid smoke and super heated gases that may have entered
3. Feel the doorknob or higher on the door with the back of your hand. If it feels hot, do not open it-the fire may
be on the other side of the door. If it is not hot, open slowly.
4. Hang from the window by your hands and drop to the ground to shorten the height of the fall if you must
escape through an upper-story window and there is no adjoining roof or fire escape. If you must break a window to
crawl out, use a chair, a drawer, or a similar object. Throw a blanket over the windowsill to help protect you from
broken glass while crawling out.
5. If the hallway is clear of smoke, walk to the nearest fire exit and evacuate the building. Close your door
behind you. Leave the fire fighting to the professionals.
6. Pull the fire alarm on your way out of the building if the alarm horn is not already sounding.
9. Do not return inside the building until instructed.